Athens, OH,
17:56 PM

From associate to patient : Giving birth at “home”

Tara Legar, MPT, director of therapy services at OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital, was apprehensive about the birth of her third child.

Yes, she’d been through the process before with her other children, Kate and Cole, at hospitals in Florida. But Tara’s pregnancy for son Cory was more complicated than her previous ones. To begin with, she was older, age 36. Then shortly before delivering in November 2014, she developed shingles, something she hadn’t experienced before.

“I was a little bit more nervous than what I’d been with the other two,” Tara admits. “But as soon as I walked in, just seeing familiar faces, it was all gone. It was like, this is going to be OK.”

Immediately upon her arrival to the hospital at around 7 a.m., Kelly Gammon, BSN, RNC, IBCLC, birth center manager, checked with other OhioHealth hospitals and a pediatrician to ensure correct procedures were in place to protect Tara’s baby from the shingles. Thankfully, the requirements were simple, but knowing the answers quickly put Tara at ease.

Patty Marcus, RN, now retired, stayed with Tara the entire day. She helped her get into a comfortable position to encourage labor by using a special birthing ball. Even when Patty’s shift ended, she remained at Tara’s side to see her through the delivery of her child.

The physician for the birth, Lucy Bucher, DO, arrived with ample time. Unlike the physicians at the Florida hospitals, Dr. Bucher guided Tara through the birth process without rushing. She communicated with Tara about what was going on, and went above and beyond to make sure she felt comfortable and prepared. Tara attributes her speedy recovery after the delivery to Dr. Bucher’s attentive care.

“She was amazing,” Tara says. “I had complete trust in her. Whatever she said, I didn’t question. She was there for me, and I was on board.”

After the birth, Tara was relieved to find that the nurses taking care of her and Cory were efficient and organized. Each check of Cory’s diapers, vital signs and other essential interventions were coordinated to minimize interruptions. If the nurses entered her room at night, they kept the lights low and their voices quiet, Tara says.

As expected, Tara received plenty of visits from family and coworkers following Cory’s arrival. The nurses made sure the flood of visitors didn’t overwhelm her, offering to place a “Do Not Disturb” sign on her hospital-room door if she needed privacy.

“They were really, really protective and welcoming, and it was just so nice,” Tara says. “It was a great mixture of not feeling completely exposed, but at the same time, having a whole bunch of support.”